It’s that time of year, winter! The heating gets blasted and there’s nothing better than coming home after a long days work and enjoying getting cozy under a blanket with a nice hot chocolate. Below we’ve sourced 5 amazing recipes for you guys to try out. Two options are alcoholic for those of you who had an extra long day! Whether you’re a lover of mint, white chocolate or other little add ons there should be something below that tickles your festive fancy.
Peppermint hot chocolate
200g plain chocolate bar (Broken into chunks), 600ml milk, 150ml single/double cream, sugar (to taste), 6 peppermint candy canes for serving.
- Put the hot chocolate in a pan with the milk. Gently heat, stirring until all the hot chocolate has melted. Continue heating until the milk is steaming, then remove from the heat and stir in the cream.
- Divide the hot chocolate between 6 mugs, add sugar to taste and hang a candy cane on the edge of each. Pass the mugs round and let everyone stir their hot chocolate with their candy cane – Letting as much of the sweet peppermint dissolve as you like.
Salted caramel rum hot chocolate
25ml dark rum, 2 tsp dulce de leche or thick caramel, 150ml whole milk, 50ml chopped milk chocolate.
- In small bowl, mix together the rum and the dulce de leche until the smooth then set aside.
- Warm the milk in a saucepan over a medium heat until simmering. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate and stir until melted. Pop the pan back on the heat until warm then add the rum mixture and a pinch of flaky sea salt. Pour into a mug and serve.
Midnight mint alcohol hot chocolate
50ml double cream, 1 tsp icing sugar, few drops peppermint extract, 150ml whole milk, 50g chopped dark chocolate, 25ml creme de menthe, dark chocolate curls/sprinkles.
- Whip the cream in a small bowl then stir in the icing sugar and a few drops of peppermint extract. Place in the fridge until needed.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and heat gently until simmering, stirring frequently. Take off the heat then add the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Return to the heat until warm then add the creme de menthe and pour into a mug.
- Top with a dollop of the whipped mint cream and chocolate curls/sprinkles just before serving.
Chic-Orange hot chocolate
150ml milk, 50ml double cream, zest of 1/2 orange, 50g chopped dark chocolate, 25ml orange liqueur.
- Heat the milk, cream and orange zest together in a saucepan until simmering then remove from the heat and pour through a sieve into a job to remove the orange zest. Pour the infused milk mixture back into the pan and add the chocolate, stirring until the chocolate has melted and is really smooth.
- Put the pan back on the heat to warm through then add the orange liqueur. Pour into a mug and serve.
Coconut hot chocolate
150ml whole milk, 25g chopped white chocolate, 25ml coconut flavoured rum (Malibu), 1 tsp finely grated dark chocolate, 1 tsp toasted coconut flakes.
- Pour the milk into a small pan and then place over a medium heat until simmering, stirring so it doesn’t scorch. Remove the pan from the heat then add the white chocolate and stir. Once the chocolate has melted, place the pan back on the heat to warm through. Add the coconut rum and pour into a mug.
- Garnish with the dark chocolate and a few toasted coconut flakes if you like.
Credit to www.bbcgoodfood.com for the amazing recipes. Enjoy guys.