ITV’s This Morning screened an interesting story on 4/1/15 about peoples homes and if certain living conditions can cause you illness. Domestico, would like to highlight some of the interesting facts that where stated so that anybody who missed it can help to eliminate “Toxic House Syndrome” Studies have shown Eczema, coughing, and sneezing could all be due to this. 

Dust Mites: Cause sneezing, an itchy nose and coughing.
As humans, we are allergic to dust mites excretions. They collect anywhere that humans flake their skin and this is what they feed off. Skin sheds in places such as your bed, sofas, cushions and on children’s soft cuddly toys.

If you have a high level of them in your house, the people that will be affected will be those who suffer from asthma and other respiratory problems. To keep the levels down the following is recommended.


This should be changed a minimum of once a week and washed on 60 degree wash as dust mites can still survive on a 40 degree.

-Use bedding barrier covers
-Hoover your mattress fortnightly
– Put stuffed toys in the freezer to kill dust mites.
– Its advised that you should by a new mattress at least every 10 years.
-Duvets and pillows should be replaced yearly.


Plug in Repellent:

This works exactly like a mosquito plug in, dust mites hate the smell that it produces so minimises the amount in your home.



Mattress Deodoriser:

Once sprayed, this kills dust mites and eggs immediately; it deodorises and it destroys germs and bacteria.




UV Hover:

This UV Hoover is great for removing dust mites! The UV sterilises and kills the mites and the hover sucks them up.




There are things you can do to minimise bacteria and any other harmful mice-organisms in your home to avoid “Toxic House Syndrome” These include:


Carbon Monoxide: This is a toxic gas which in large amounts can kill! To avoid this you should check your gas hobs when cooking. When gas and petroleum don’t burn cleanly this causes Carbon Monoxide, when cooking your hob should burn blue, if it doesn’t do this then it needs to checked.

Tea Towels: These should be changed daily! A week old tea towel could have up to 200 times more bacteria than a toilet seat!!

Door handles: Should be regularly cleaned with anti bacterial spray

Washing up Sponges: These need to be replaced regularly but a tip for keeping it clean put it in the microwave for 20 seconds and it kills all the micro-organisms.


If you think you could be affected by any of the problems above then please don’t hesitate to contact us for more tips on how to keep your home clean and sparking! 

Pin It on Pinterest

%d bloggers like this: